Sunday, February 26, 2012

First Solo Run

From Peter -

Big day today people! Even though the weather didn’t cooperate and settle down like we’d hoped it would, we still managed to get a couple teams out this weekend, which meant that I got to run my own team for the first time!
                Up until now, I’ve served mainly as the resident utility man on our training runs, which means that I’ve spent a lot of time on a tow sled behind Morgan or Craig’s teams, helping out however I can (Twila is fond of her nickname for me: Ballast). Today though, I graduated to solo sledding. While Morgan and Craig rode ahead with eight dogs, I took out my own little four dog team, and it was a good one. For leaders, I had two experienced Alaskan Huskies, Copper and Sumo, and for my wheel dogs, I ran two of our young and speedy female Malamutes, Enya and Liddy. Needless to say, it was a totally different experience riding solo – having Copper and Sumo actually “gee” or “ha” when I asked them was new and exciting.

 First Solo Run


                It definitely felt good to be back on sleds after almost a week, which is the longest we’ve gone without running since I’ve been here. I’m pretty hooked, so over dinner tonight I’ll be trying to convince the ladies of the ranch to let me take out another team tomorrow (six, maybe?).

Twila thought this was a much better picture.



3 comments:

  1. Pretty soon you will be running 12!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Thank you for sharing the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear more about all of your mushing adventures!

    ReplyDelete